I thought that making Chicken Pot Pies from scratch was going to be time consuming and difficult. And when you have hungry boys in the house you can't do time consuming and difficult. Then a friend taught me how to make my own for super cheap and it was so easy!!! I made one for dinner last year and it clearly wasn't enough for my ravenous family. We are a two Pot Pie family!!!
Here is how you make your own without all the kneading and tons of prep work:
Just a few ingredients a little bit of cooking time and your family will thank you. No peeling and cutting potatoes and carrots. Believe me this is super easy.
Ingredients per pie:
1 can of Cream of Celery Soup
1 can of Veggies
1/2 a can of Chicken Broth
Pie Crust (store bought if you want it to be fast)
4 - 6 Chicken Breasts (we like lots of chicken in ours)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 drop Rosemary Essential Oil
1. First things first you need to boil your chicken. I boil it in chicken broth, salt and pepper, celery seed. Boil it till it's no longer pink and it's tender. You can now shred it with your Kitchen Aide or cut it up in chunks with your Kitchen Shears. It just depends on your preference.
2. In a Pot, add your Cream of Celery Soup, Chicken Broth, Veggies, Salt and Pepper. Personally, I love the taste of Rosemary with chicken so I add a drop of Rosemary Essential Oil to the mixture. A little goes a long way . Essential Oils are concentrated so you don't want to add too much or it will overpower your meal. Let that heat up on medium for about 5 minutes or so. Just till it's hot.
3. Add your chicken.
4. While that's heating up on low. Get one of your pie crusts out and place it in the bottom of your pie plate or plates if your family is like ours. Using a fork. Poke a few holes in the bottom crust to ensure even cooking.
5. Pour your veggie/chicken mixture in your pie pan and place your second pie crust on top. Taking care to press it all together. Cut slits in the top for the steam to escape.
6. I add an egg wash to the top to make it pretty and golden brown. Bake it at 350 for 30 minutes. Let it sit for about 10 minutes after you take it up. If you don't, the pie slices will fall apart. I'm speaking from experience (see first picture).
To find out more about essential oils please visit Naturally Essential. There you will find information on benefits, uses, and how to get your own!